第5章
这个词的使用是不受限制的
I do not know more than half a dozen women
我认识的这样的女士不超过6个
- that are truly accomplished. - [Caroline] Nor l.
- 那一定是多才多艺的 - 可我不是
上帝,你一定从中领会了很多
Goodness, you must comprehend a great deal in the idea.
- I do. - Absolutely.
- 是的 - 绝对
She must have a knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing
她一定懂得音乐,歌唱,绘画,跳舞
and the modern languages to deserve the word.
还有时髦的语言来点菜
And something in her air and manner of walking.
还有她说话的口气和走路的样子
而且她一定通过广泛的阅读 来扩展他的视野
And she must improve her mind by extensive reading.
I'm no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women.
我再也不会惊讶于 你仅对6位多才多艺女士的了解
- I wonder at you knowing any. - Are you so severe on your own sex
- 我想知道你擅于什么 - 你对女士也是这么严格要求的吗?
I never saw such a woman. She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold.
我从没遇到过这样的女士 认识这样的女士一定是很可怕的事情
[Caroline] Miss Elizabeth, let us take a turn about the room.
伊丽莎白小姐 我们在房间里瞎走动走动吧
It's refreshing, is it not, after sitting so long in one attitude
这很清爽,不是吗 坐了那么久,走动一下可以提提精神
It is a small kind of accomplishment, I suppose.
这也是种小技艺 我想
Will you not join us, Mr Darcy
你不和我们一起来吗,达西先生?
You can only have two motives, and I would interfere with either.
你们不过是有两个动机 但我不会妨碍到任何一个
What can he mean
他什么意思?
The surest way to disappoint him would be to ask him nothing.
让他失望是最好的办法 什么都不问他
Do tell us, Mr Darcy.
一定要告诉我们, 达西先生
Either you are in each other's confidence
你们两是心腹之交
and you have secret affairs to discuss,
肯定有些私事要聊聊
or you are conscious that your figures
否则就是你们自以为散起步来
体态显得特别好看,所以要散散步
appear to the greatest advantage by walking.
倘若是出于第一个动机 我夹在你们中间就会妨碍你们
If the first, I should get in your way.
If the second, I can admire you much better from here.
倘若是出于第二个动机 那么我坐在这可以更好地欣赏你们
How shall we punish him for such a speech
亏他说得出,我们该怎么罚他呀?
- We could laugh at him. - No. Mr Darcy is not to be teased.
- 讥笑他一番 - 不行,达西先生是不能让人笑话的
Are you too proud, Mr Darcy And would you consider pride a fault or a virtue
你是否太骄傲了些,达西先生? 你认为骄傲是缺点还是优点?
- I couldn't say. - We're trying to find a fault in you.
- 说不好 - 我们在试着找出你的缺点
I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others,
别人的愚蠢和过错我本应该赶快忘掉 却偏偏忘不掉
or their offences against me.
人家得罪了我 我也忘不掉
My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever.
我对于某个人一旦没有了好感 就永远没有好感了
Oh, dear. I cannot tease you about that.
噢,亲爱的 我不能讥笑你了
What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh.
对于我非常喜欢讥笑你 我深表羞愧
[Caroline] A family trait, I think.
家族传统,我想
A Mrs Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet and a Miss Bennet, sir.
班纳特太太,班纳特三小姐 班纳特四小姐还有班纳特五小姐到,先生
Are we to receive every Bennet in the country
乡下所有叫班纳特都来我们家了?
What an excellent room you have, sir.
你的屋子多可爱阿,先生
Such expensive furnishings.
贵重的家具
[Mrs Bennet] I do hope you intend to stay here, Mr Bingley.
我非常希望你能留在这,彬格莱先生
Absolutely, I find the country very diverting. Don't you agree, Darcy
当然,我觉得乡村非常的有趣 不是吗,达西?
I find it perfectly adequate.
我觉得非常的适当
Even if society is a little less varied than in town.
乡下碰不到像城里那么多些各色各样的人
碰不到?完全不是
Less varied Not at all.
We dine with four and 20 families of all shapes and sizes.
就我所知,平常跟我们来往吃饭的 可也有二十四家呀,各色各样的家庭
Sir William Lucas, for instance, is a very agreeable man.
比如威廉卢卡斯爵士 就是位很和蔼的人
And a good deal less self-important than some people half his rank.
跟他同一爵位的某些人比起来 他是那么温雅的好人
[Lydia] Mr Bingley, is it true you will hold a ball here
彬格莱先生 你真的要在这举办舞会吗?
A ball
舞会?
It would be an excellent way to meet new friends. You could invite the militia.